Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Suburban Paradise!

So you move to the 'burbs partially to avoid scenes like this;



But this is basically the scene that confronted me and a train load of other commuters as we returned to our little hamlet yesterday evening.  There, in the middle of a permit-only town owned parking lot, up on four jacks, was a beautiful new shiny red Nissan Maxima with it's tires stripped off!  Unbelievable!  In broad daylight, in a lot where cars are regularly ticketed for expired registrations/inspections or for parking head out so that the permit sticker required on the rear bumper is not visible.  And reportedly this is not the first incident of this kind.  We have a very visible police presence in our town.  From cruisers to mountain bike patrols.  You never have to look far to spot a town police officer.  And one look at your annual property tax bill is all the reminder you need of what such visibility costs.  But somehow it seems that the main focus of our peace officers has devolved to revenue generation for the town coffers.  Many of the times you notice them it's because they're engaged in issuing someone a ticket for some traffic or parking infraction.  It's somewhat ironic that they seem to focus on activities that will bring in the revenue needed to perpetuate their own employment.  Perhaps a little less focus on the inspection status of the vehicles in the town lots and a bit more on the teams of lowlifes stripping them down is needed? 

Just a thought.

12 comments:

gone said...

I've been noticing a lot more coppers on the road here lately. I had one flash behind me, but when I pulled over, it nabbed the guy in front of me. Today, the copper wasn't there and the same SUV tailgated me until it could zoom past, only to eat my dust as it waited to get on the freeway that, btw, goes slower than surface streets at 6am. Ha! There's a cop lurking behind every bush now. Sheesh.

So, the octopus picked the right World cup winner again, eh? Funny.

Also, have you ever read any of Sarah Vowel's books? She's always on Daily Show, and I finally picked up the latest about the Puritans and the founding of MA - hilarious, very readable, snarky, and informative story about the founding by the puritans and the way we totally don't know what really happened back then. Called The Wordy Shipmates. I'm gonna get Assassination Vacation next. Funsies!

snark said...

I've seen people reading it and was intrigued by the title. I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, that damn octopus! And a german no less! Fucker.

I;m gonna fire off a letter to the town mayor and the town board and request that they have the copious police force focus on more than just whether someone's parking sticker is up to date when they cruise through the parking lot.

gone said...

Good idea - citizen activist!

Ready for Vegas?

gone said...

Hey, you traveling today? I haven't talked with Izzy in a while, I'll try and get her plans so youse guys can meet up. Or else find Jerome and you'll prolly find her! Safe trip!

Seven of Six said...

SNARK, ARE YOU DRUNK YET? LOL!

gone said...

Hallooo! Where's the snarkasaurus?? Leave them showgirls alone, you cad!

gone said...

BTW, how you doin' SoS? It's been a tough year on ya, bud. Hope you're getting a break somehow!

snark said...

Sorry, travelling to Vegas on Thursday morning. Will be there shortly after noon on Thursday. I was off since Saturday camping with the family. We had 4 great days out in Montauk Long Island. Camped right on the beach. Literally 300 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. Just beautiful. Makes me feel for all those poor fuckers losing their livelihoods and their beaches to the oil. We did nothing but bbq and romp in the surf.

I'll try and post some stuff from Vegas as often as possible.

snark said...

Living so close to a semi-major airport is terrific. I am through security and waiting to board my flight and I only got out of bed 1 hour ago. Can't fly nonstop to Vegas but it's worth the lack of hassle.

gone said...

Sounds like a nice vacation, and now a party time vacation. Woohoo!

snark said...

Ok, I'm here! Lotta people. Apparently they had a ton of walk up registrations. I'll keep an eye out for Jerome and Izzy.

gone said...

Izzy'll be w/Jerome, she's a skinny waif, with very short blond hair and sassy shoes. Can't miss her! I haven't met Jerome yet. Still haven't gotten ahold of them. They're driving over from LA, I think. Woohoo! Start shmoozing, big guy. Keep us up to date.