Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Another 1st Amendment moron

I'm constantly mazed at how many supposedly intelligent people have no clue about what their 1st Amendment rights really involve. 

Like Dr. Laura Schlessinger for instance;

"At the end of the year, when my contract runs out, I've decided not to do a radio show anymore. I want my First Amendment rights back, which I can't have on radio without the threat of attack on my advertisers and stations. I would like to make it clear that I am not retiring -- I'm too young for that -- and I'm not quitting. I will be stronger and freer to say my mind through my books, my YouTube Channel, my blog and my website. And I'll be on TV more, because I'll have the freedom to speak my mind."


Seriously?  Does the erudite doctor REALLY believe that the 1st Amendment is supposed to protect her and her sponsors/employers from the repercussions of her speech?  I'm constantly dumbfounded when I hear this.  And no one ever calls them on it.  Is she really that stupid?  And do the people she's doling out self-help advice to know this? 

I want my 1st Amendment rights back!  In other words, I want to be able to be shielded from any repercussions from the offensive things I say or do.

It's right up there with, I want my country back!

And people wonder why Obama hasn't magically "transformed" the country. 

3 comments:

snark said...

Not ot mention how ridiculous and blindingly idiotic it is to listen to a person who has her voice heard by millions of people every day complain about needing to get her 1st Amendment rights back. Absolutely no ability to be self-critical what-so-ever. Amazing.

gone said...

Man, that's one crazy ass chick. On the radio here, they had the story, except they only played where she said the n-word, nothing about her telling the woman that she was being hypersensitive or when she said "that's what you get for marrying out of your race."

Seven of Six said...

She quits, basically censors herself... then has the nerve to ask for her 1st amendment rights back? And she never lost them in the first place? Talk about FAUX outrage! And the real outrage is people won't understand it.